New Holland Borough
Lancaster County, PA
This trash collection and recycling program includes a number of services under one contract with the Borough’s current refuse hauler, Eagle Disposal.
- The regular collection day for all of New Holland Borough is Thursday.
- On regular collection days, trash, yard waste, and recyclables must be on the curb in front of your home by Wednesday night. Trash and recycling toters must be put out no more than three (3) feet from your curb and should be clearly visible to the collector. Please do not block sidewalks. No alley or back door service will be provided, except by prior arrangement with the hauler.
- Trash may not be placed on the curb earlier than the evening before collection day.
- If you choose to opt-out of the trash program during the contracted time period, you will be charged $10.
Contact the Borough Office, 436 East Main Street , 717-354-4567, if your refuse and recycling collection is missed or if you have any questions about the program.
- Recycle bins can be purchased at the Borough office for $10.
- Recyclable materials will be picked up on the same day the refuse is collected. Place your bin next to your trash.
- This is a commingled recycling program. Cans (aluminum, tin), glass and #1 and #2 plastic bottles and jugs with a neck and corrugated cardboard. These items DO NOT need to be separated. Rinse the the items (labels do NOT need to be removed) and remove the lids which go in the trash.
- We provide battery bags for used batteries. Once the bag is full, place it next to your recycle bin for pick-up.
- The following items cannot be put in your recycle bins:
Light bulbs, window and auto glass, drinking glasses, cookware, paper/plastic cups, foil and pie plates.
This is a mandatory recycling program. You are required by Borough Ordinance to separate those materials for special collection as previously described. No recyclable materials are allowed in trash containers.
- Eagle Disposal is supplying a 95-gallon toter.
- No loose trash is permitted in containers.
- If you have additional trash, it must be marked with a yellow Extra Service Tag-$3.00/each. Attach the tag securely to the top of the bag and place it next to the toter.
- Oversized refuse items, such as furniture and carpet will be picked up each week during regular refuse collection. All over-sized items must be marked with a red Extra Service Tag-$15.00/each.
Tags should be attached securely and in a place clearly visible to the waste hauler.
- No more than two (2) oversized refuse items will be picked up at any one residence each week.
Large Appliances, Tires, Christmas Trees
- Large appliances – clothes washers and dryers, microwave ovens, dishwashers, refrigerators, freezers, stoves, hot water heaters, electric heaters, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, furnaces, etc., and tires will be picked up twice a year on special collection days (usually sometime in April and October).
- All large appliances must be marked with a white Extra Service Tag – $15.00/each. Appliance tags must be purchased in advance and your address recorded for pick-up at the Borough Office or ordered on the form in this folder.
- Each tire must be marked with a purple Extra Service Tag – $5.00/each. Tire tags must be purchased in advance and your address recorded for pick-up at the Borough Office or ordered on the form in this folder.
- All tags should be attached securely and in a place clearly visible to the waste hauler.
- The contractor will collect Christmas Trees at no charge on one day each January.
Yard Waste, Leaves
- Yard waste bags can be purchased at the Borough office in the amount of $.50 each. They are located outside of the front door. Simply place the money in an envelope and put it in our drop box by the front door and take your bags from the black bin.
- Yard waste (leaves, grass clippings, sod, woody waste, brush, branches and garden residue) will be picked up each week during regular refuse collection starting sometime in April and ending sometime in October. Do NOT tie the bag closed as it is a free standing bag. The maximum weight of each bag is 30 pounds. A separate truck will pick up the yard waste bags on trash day. You may either bundle branches in 4 ft. segments or put them in the yard waste bags.
- The Borough hauler will provide leaf pick up on five days between October and December. This pick up will be done separately from refuse collection; however, bags must be biodegradable and can be picked up at the Borough office. The dates will be announced in the Borough’s newsletter.
- A special note about grass clippings, why not think about making changes in your lawn care habits. There is no reason to remove grass clippings from lawns. Clippings will filter down to the soil, where they reduce water evaporation and encourage growth by keeping the soil temperature cooler. As it decomposes, grass acts as a natural fertilizer and does not create thatch. Thatch is an overgrowth of the root and stem of the grass plant caused by over watering and over fertilizing.
- Cut grass frequently enough so that clippings do not clump together on top of the lawn. Or invest in a mulching mower or blade, which chops up the clippings and makes them finer so that they fall to the soil. And don’t over fertilize or over water your lawn. These small changes in habits will save you a great deal of money over the years.